Est. 1941


Newport Beach, CA • Balboa Island

Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Date: 07-10-13
Location: Marine Ave. Balboa Island, CA.
Photography by: Luis Valdizon
Words by: David Morris

You know how some siblings aren't close, rarely speak and share different interests? Well, that's not the case with my younger brother and I. Aside from my best friend and partner in crime, Matt is the mastermind behind The Cleanest Corner (an idea he had in college back in 2009) and the other half of this journey that I am on. Every song I release, video I shoot or move that I make, he is there with me. He's both my biggest fan and my hardest critic. There's a quote that says, "A brother shares childhood memories and grown-up dreams." That is exactly how I would describe our relationship.

This past weekend, we set out to celebrate his birthday with our father--fresh off the plane from West Virginia, Luis--our curator, documentarian and the man who makes this site possible, and Katrin--one of the coolest, most chic young ladies out there, who's giving Germany major style points by making her mark abroad here in the U.S. There were no plans, no schedule and no preferences. For this birthday, Matt just wanted to go. So, go, we did. We heard that this was the last weekend of the 2013 Orange County Fair, so we decided to take the hour drive down from Los Angeles to check that out (look out for a future post on our evening there). In the process, we stumbled upon the charming and beautiful Balboa Island when looking for lunch in Newport Beach, a discovery that made the spontaneous adventure well worth the trip. With beachfront houses, docks, sail boats, golf carts, vintage cars and quaint shops galore, the small area made for the perfect place to walk around and spend the afternoon. Complete with a five-minute ferry ride to and from the island and Balboa Peninsula, it's basically a mini paradise set on the shores of Southern California. My list of places to hole up in to record music in the future just got one line longer.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I love all these pictures...If you haven't had a chance to get over to Catalina Island I would highly suggest it. My family and I spent lots of summers and still do over there, it's gorgeous and talk about a mini paradise...So much history as well...Give it a try, you won't be disappointed! :) ~~ Heather

Post a Comment